Friday 23 July 2010

TOY STORIES

Tonight at 10:30 pm on Radio 2's Arts Show with Claudia Winkleman, I will be reviewing the new exhibition, Toy Tales at The Cartoon Museum.

A feast of pure nostalgia, it features artwork, storyboards, puppets, sets and memorabilia from such classic and much-beloved series as Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog, The Clangers, Pogles Wood, Bagpus, Roobarb and Custard, Dangermouse and more contemporary favourites Bob the Builder and Peppa Pig.

I loved seeing the original Bagpuss and the Clanger family (along wit the Froglets and the Music Tree), but I also greatly enjoyed listening to the reactions of pure delight from visiting grown-ups re-connecting with their childhood!

2 comments:

Steven Hartley said...

I do actually quite like Bagpuss, created by Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate, but I find Bagpuss a little bit creepy!

Its just at the very beginning, with the black and white pictures with the little girl named Emily, its just that the girl really scared me, its just her hair and the settings of the shop were just weird and creepy!

Its just me, I find the girl Emily a bit scary to be honest (it was actually played by Peter Firmin's daughter)!

But, I find Bagpuss quite an acheivement to British television in the 1970's, but I think the whole 'creepy' Bagpuss thing is supposed to be scary!

Brian Sibley said...

I know of other people who have found Bagpuss creepy, but there are 'dark' elements to many of Postgate and Firmin's series - especially (if you ever get to see it) The Poggles.